Recipe by Charmed
Yes, another brownie recipe. I never much liked brownies made with cocoa powder until I discovered that using 1/2 vegetable shortening made a big difference in the texture, resulting in a much fudgier, firmer cocoa brownie. If you leave out or substitute for the butter or the shortening it just won't be right. Feel free to add nuts or chips if you like, they are good without them. My preference is to frost them, with or without nuts. If you use the basic ingedients, however, I think you'll like the resuls.
Top Review by Chef shapeweaver �
For quite some time I've been having a MAJOR and I mean MAJOR brownie craving.So I started looking for a recipe that used the ingredients that I had on hand.I came across this one and decided to try it.I followed the recipe as it was exactly as it written,but there is a slight problem with this recipe.The amount of flour is perfect,but you didn't state if it was self-rising or all-purpose.That could be a problem if someone that was new to baking decided to make this.Since this recipe didn't have baking soda or salt,I used self-rising and it worked just fine. Now to get on with how this tasted. OMGoodness !!!, I've made and eaten quite a few brownie recipes in my time and I have to tell you " This one rates right in there with some of the best."The baking time was right on the money and came out just perfect.I did let them cool for about 20 minutes so they would be easier to cut. Thank you so much for posting what I would call one of the most " Perfect Brownies " I've eaten in a long time.I WILL make these again. Thanks for posting and " Keep Smiling :) "
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable shortening
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (add a little more if you like)
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup chopped nuts (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup chocolate chips (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350. Grease an 8 inch pan, or spray with non-stick spray.
- In a saucepan over low heat, melt the butter and margarine. Remove from the heat and whisk in the cocoa powder until well blended.
- Whisk in the sugar.
- Whisk in the eggs, one at a time, blending each one in well.
- Stir in the flour and then the vanilla and blend well.
- If desired, fold in nuts and chips.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until just done in the center.
- Cool, slice and enjoy, or frost with your favorite brownie frosting. If you made thej in a round pan, cut into wedges which are great to use for desserts like brownie sundaes.