Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Another great brownie from chocolate master Alice Medrich.
- 10 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 3⁄4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, plus
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder (natural or Dutch-process)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 cold large eggs
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2⁄3 cup chopped walnuts (optional) or 2⁄3 cup pecan pieces (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 325°F Line the bottom and sides of an 8 inch square baking pan with parchment paper or foil, leaving an overhang on two opposite sides.Non stick foil works great here.
- Melt butter in a medium saucepan.Add cocoa,salt and sugar.Stir well,remove from heat.
- Stir in vanilla and eggs,one at a time.Add flour and stir for a couple of minutes.
- Add optional nuts.Spread evenly into pan.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted into the center emerges slightly moist with batter, 25 to 30 minutes. Let cool completely on a rack.
Very fudgy brownies! No need for frosting.
Terrific! My husband said these were the best brownies ever. We ate them warm with ice cream. Thick, rich, and fudgy. Can't get better than that!