Chef mariajane's Note:
This is a fantastic recipe from Martha Stewart, it takes time and patience, but is worth it in the end. You have to have a bee cookie cutter, or maybe you are very good at cutting your own shapes!! A couple of little bees sitting on the side of your dessert plate is so decorative, and they are also delicious!!
My Private Note
dozen b ...
Units: US | Metric
- 2 1/2 cups flour, plus more for dusting
- 1/2 cup unsweetened dutch cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3/4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 large egg white, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup dark unsulphured molasses
- superfine sugar, for sprinkling
YELLOW ROYAL ICING
- 1Preheat oven to 325°F
- 2Whisk together flour, cocoa powder, salt baking powder, and baking soda.
- 3With an electric mixer on medium speed, beat butter and brown sugar until pale and fluffy, about 4 minutes, Beat in egg and molasses, reduce speed to low. Add flour mixture; beat until just combined. Shape into a disk and wrap in plastic. Refrigerate until cold but not hard.
- 4Divide dough into quarters, Roll out each portion between two sheets of parchement to 1/4 inch thickness. Chill in freezer until firm. about 30 minutes. Using a 3-inch bee cutter cut out the shapes. Gather together the scraps; reroll and cut out. Space 1-inch apart on baking sheets lined with parchment.
- 5Bake cookies until firm, 10-12 minutes. Let cool.
- 6YELLOW ROYAL ICING:.
- 7With an electric mixer on low speed, beat meringue powder, sugar and 3 tablespoons water until smooth, about 1 minute. Add more water, 1 tablespoons at a time until the mixture is the consistency of honey.
- 8Add the food coloring until desired color is reached.
- 9Transfer to a pastry bag fitted with a small plain round tip (such as Ateco#2) . Use immediately.
- 10Brush water on wings of bees and sprinkle immediately with sanding sugar, shaking off excess. Decorate bodies with royal icing and immediately sprinkle with sanding sugar, shaking off excess.
- 11Let cookies set, at least 2 hours. Cookies can be stored in airtight containers up to 2 weeks.
Browse Our Top Rolled Cookies Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Rolled Cookies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cocoa Bee Cookies
Serving Size: 1 (1184 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 502.3
- Calories from Fat 147
- Total Fat 16.4 g
- Saturated Fat 10.1 g
- Cholesterol 40.6 mg
- Sodium 243.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 87.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.5 g
- Sugars 54.3 g
- Protein 5.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: