Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
These muffins are a real treat served warm from the oven, slathered with cinnamon butter...delicious!
- 1 1⁄4 cups flour
- 1⁄2 cup whole wheat flour
- 3⁄4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup baking cocoa
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄3 cup butter or 1⁄3 cup margarine, melted
- 1 cup chunky applesauce
- 1⁄4 cup half-and-half cream or 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 3⁄4 cup raisins
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine, softened
- 2 tablespoons icing sugar (powdered)
- 1⁄8-1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
Directions See How It's Made
- Set oven to 400 degrees.
- Grease the bottoms, or line 2-1/2-inch muffin cups with paper liners.
- In a large bowl, stir together, the flours, brown sugar, baking cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- In a small bowl, stir together, melted butter, applesauce, half and half cream or milk (if using), and the egg until well blended.
- Add to dry ingredients; stir with a wooden spoon JUST until dry ingredients are moistened.
- Stir in raisins.
- Fill muffin cups about 3/4 full with the batter.
- Bake for 20-22 minutes, or until the muffins test done.
- Remove from pans to wire racks.
- Cool slightly.
- Serve muffins warm with cinnamon butter.
- To make cinnamon butter: In a small mixing bowl, beat butter, powdered sugar and cinnamon until well blended.