Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
These muffins are a real treat served warm from the oven, slathered with cinnamon butter...delicious!
- 1 1⁄4 cups flour
- 1⁄2 cup whole wheat flour
- 3⁄4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup baking cocoa
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄3 cup butter or 1⁄3 cup margarine, melted
- 1 cup chunky applesauce
- 1⁄4 cup half-and-half cream or 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 3⁄4 cup raisins
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine, softened
- 2 tablespoons icing sugar (powdered)
- 1⁄8-1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- Set oven to 400 degrees.
- Grease the bottoms, or line 2-1/2-inch muffin cups with paper liners.
- In a large bowl, stir together, the flours, brown sugar, baking cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- In a small bowl, stir together, melted butter, applesauce, half and half cream or milk (if using), and the egg until well blended.
- Add to dry ingredients; stir with a wooden spoon JUST until dry ingredients are moistened.
- Stir in raisins.
- Fill muffin cups about 3/4 full with the batter.
- Bake for 20-22 minutes, or until the muffins test done.
- Remove from pans to wire racks.
- Cool slightly.
- Serve muffins warm with cinnamon butter.
- To make cinnamon butter: In a small mixing bowl, beat butter, powdered sugar and cinnamon until well blended.
These didn't do it for me. Maybe if you're aiming for something specifically healthy they would be okay, but the flavour was pretty bland the the crumb dry.
Wonderful tasty muffins Kit!! Made these with recipe #70097 - had big chunks of apple - perfect recipe for Fall!! Instead of raisins, added about 1/2 cup of mini-chocolate chips! Thanks Kit! :)
holy cow. five stars....is not enough! I doubled it....used 1 1/2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice for the spices, and used water instead of cream or milk. I tossed in a tablespoon of instant coffee granules and thought I'd died and gone to heaven. I can't wait to try it with dried cherries, and I'm sending the recipe to my sister right now!