Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
A nice muffin with an optional crunchy topping.
Cocoa Crunch Topping
- 2 tablespoons butter (or margarine)
- 2 tablespoons cocoa
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄4 cup nuts, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup cocoa
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 3⁄4 cup chunky applesauce
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 cup nuts, chopped
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Grease bottom only of muffin cups (the 2 1/2 inch diameter size will make 12 muffins).
- Prepare the crunchy topping by combining all of the topping ingredients until crumbly. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, comine the cocoa and oil, stirring until smooth.
- Add the applesauce and egg, blending well.
- Combine the flour, sugar, baking soda, salt and cinnamon together.
- Stir in the applesauce mixture and nuts, just until dry ingredients are moistened.
- Fill the muffin cups about 2/3 full and sprinkle a heaping teaspoonful of topping on each muffin.
- Bake 25-30 minutes.
Good! Made as directed but baked 17 minutes. Next time I'll take out at 15 min. Tasted like a brownie cupcake with hints of cinnamon. The nuts and streusel topping made the muffins even more delicious. Thanks for sharing the recipe!
I had just made homemade applesauce with the kids and didn't know what to do with the leftovers (they weren't a big fan of the chunky sauce - ha!). So voila! I found the perfect use for it. These muffins are like eating a chocolate cupcake for breakfast! Mmmmmmmm. And the kids had no idea they were eating their applesauce! I substituted some of the sugar with Splenda and they were great. I highly recommend this one!
These were OK. I thought they tasted close to a bran muffin.