Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Unsweetened coconut can be found in most Asian stores. I find it in our stores here in Iowa around the hoildays.
- 2 teaspoons canola oil or 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 cup yellow onion, chopped
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1⁄4 cup unsweetened flaked coconut
- 1 1⁄2 cups reduced-sodium fat-free chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup green onion, chopped
- Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add onion; saute 2 minutes or until tender, stirring constantly.
- Add rice and turmeric; saute until rice becomes yellow.
- Stir in unsweetened coconut.
- Add broth and 1/2 cup water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and season with salt and pepper.
- Cover and simmer 20 minutes or until tender.
- Turn off heat, uncover, and let stand 5 minutes.
- Fluff with a fork.
- Stir in green onions and serve.
A nice rice dish. Served it with Recipe #119300 - it would go well with many fruity, spicy chicken dishes. I used regular long grain white rice and sweetened dried coconut and it tasted just fine. I also sauteed the green onions along with the yellow onions. Would also taste good with currants or other dried fruits added in. Thanks for posting.