Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
A moist, luscious banana bread with a touch of coconutty Malibu rum and a sprinkling of shredded coconut within! The original recipe is from the Sugar In The Raw website, but I changed it to add the Malibu rum, shredded coconut and allspice. As always, be sure that the bananas are REALLY ripe - the skins almost need to be black - and do not overmix the batter.
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar in the raw raw sugar
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 tablespoon Cointreau liqueur
- 3 tablespoons Malibu rum
- 2 cups mashed overripe bananas (about 4)
- 2 1⁄4 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup shredded coconut
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease and flour a 9x5x3 loaf pan (not necessary for non-stick).
- In a large bowl, thoroughly combine raw sugar and melted butter.
- Add milk, eggs, liquors, and bananas.
- In a separate large bowl, combine dry ingredients.
- Add this to butter-banana mixture.
- Combine until JUST mixed- do not over mix.
- Pour batter into prepared loaf pan and bake at least 1 hour (more like 1 hour, 15 to 30 minutes) or until pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool 25 to 30 minutes in pan.
This was really good! I used 1/2 cup of egg beaters and also used Triple sec instead of Cointreau (couldn't find it). I left the rest the same and it came out very nice. Thanks!
Yummy!!! I did do some substitutions though! I only had brown sugar so sub that for raw. I also had no coconut, but did have package coconut pudding so used that and decreased the flour by 1/2 cup; since I usually cook banana breads with pudding anyway. The rum was very good idea! used coconut and spiced instead of Cointreau. Sooo, despite all my subbings it all still worked and was wonderful, thanks!!