1/1 Photo of Coco-Kiss Pumpkin Muffins
These deliciously spicy muffins are ‘kissed’ with a touch of the Tropics – a buttered-rum-coconut heart that will have you swooning with every bite. The unusual addition of cornmeal makes the muffins even more wholesome texturally, and the addition of a dollop of sour cream in the batter provides a tender crumb. Don’t let the long list of ingredients phase you – these come together in no time at all.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
Buttered-Rum Coconut Kiss
- 1 cup pumpkin (I made mine fresh from a butternut squash) or 1 cup squash puree (I made mine fresh from a butternut squash)
- 1 the orange, juice and zest of (the juice totaled just over 1/4 cup)
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1Make the Buttered-Rum Coconut ‘Kiss’: Melt butter over medium-high heat in a small saucepan. Cook for 1-2 minutes, watching carefully, until the butter turns nut-brown (this is called ‘beurre noisette’) and is very fragrant – be careful not to burn. Immediately remove from heat and add sugar, rum and coconut. Combine well to mix butter and rum throughout and to cool slightly. Stir in egg, combining well. Using a rounded teaspoon as a measure, separate the coconut mixture into 12 portions and roll them into balls, resembling meatballs. Space apart on a plate and put in refrigerator to firm up while preparing the muffin batter.
- 2Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit (170 degrees Centigrade).
- 3For Muffins: Cream butter for 1 minute. Add sugar and beat 4 more minutes, or until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs.
- 4In separate bowl, whisk together pumpkin puree, orange zest and juice and sour cream.
- 5In a third bowl, whisk together all the dry ingredients.
- 6Stir 1/3 of the flour mixture into the creamed butter mixture; mix in ½ the pumpkin puree mixture and add another 1/3 of the flour mixture. Stir in remaining pumpkin puree and flour and mix well.
- 7Distribute batter evenly among 12 well-greased or paper-lined muffin cups. Place a coconut ‘kiss’ onto the top of each muffin and press in so nearly half the kiss is immersed in batter.
- 8Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the muffin batter comes out clean.
Browse Our Top Muffins Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Muffins Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Coco-Kiss Pumpkin Muffins
Serving Size: 1 (114 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 359.3
- Calories from Fat 158
- Total Fat 17.6 g
- Saturated Fat 11.2 g
- Cholesterol 86.2 mg
- Sodium 377.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 45.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.2 g
- Sugars 26.6 g
- Protein 4.4 g