Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
Another favourite for flavour and cheapness. You can add other herbs if you prefer. It is yum with dark rye bread and a salad. The thicker the better and it tastes even nicer the next day!
- 2 cups split peas (yellow or green)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 4 potatoes, chopped,peeled or not (600g)
- sea salt
- black pepper
- Begin boiling the split peas and potatoes.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a pan and fry the onion, garlic, carrot and celery until fragrant.
- Add the onion mixture to the split peas and potatoes and cook till all the vegetables and split peas are very soft.
- Season to taste.
- Transfer soup to a blender, or use a hand blender and blend until the soup is silky smooth!
- Return to the pot to reheat if necessary, and serve.
Very close to what I make all the time. I leave out the salt, due to my husbands health, and my whole family likes the soup without blending it. I never have left overs.