Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
This recipe is a light, refreshing soup perfect for spring and summer. I am not one for creamy things, and this is not rich at all. It is adapted from veganchef.com (Butterbean and Herb Cream Soup)
- 2 cups dried lima beans, soaked overnight (8 hours)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄3 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1⁄3 cup chopped fresh chives
- 1⁄3 cup chopped fresh basil
- sea salt
- Boil the soaked lima beans, in enough water to cover, with the bay leaf, until they are tender.
- Once cooked, discard the bay leaf and add chopped fresh herbs and sea salt to taste.
- Transfer to a blender (or just use a hand blender), and blend until it is a smooth consistency.
- Serve, with warm crusty bread and a garden salad.
Lovely-looking soup that tastes like spring. I used the defatted broth from yesterday's St. Pat's corned beef instead of water and it added lots of flavor. The herbs made the soup.
It doesn't get much easier! We enjoyed this for our first alfresco meal of 2005 (date 18/03/05). I added a little bouillon powder and used parsley, a little coriander, chives and rosemary plus a teaspoon of vegan pesto (too early for fresh basil!). Ideal, as suggested, for spring and early summer.