Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
Courtesy of Cooking Light. (Recipe does not included time to chill the cocktail.)
- 2 cups chicken broth (fat free, less-sodium preferred)
- 5 tablespoons fresh lime juice, divided
- 1 sprig fresh oregano
- 1 1⁄2 lbs medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 cup ice
- 1 cup tomato juice
- 2 teaspoons hot sauce
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 1 cup tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1 cup English cucumber, peeled and chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro, chopped
- 3⁄4 cup avocado, peeled and diced
- 6 lime wedges
- Combine broth, 1 T lime juice and oregano in a large saucepan; bring to a simmer.
- Cook 5 minutes and discard oregano.
- Add shrimp to pan; cook 3 minutes or until done.
- Transfer shrimp mixture to a large bowl.
- Stir in ice, tomato juice and hot sauce. Let stand 1 minute or until ice melts.
- Stir in remaining 1/4 cup lime juice, onion, tomato, cucumber, pepper and salt.
- Cool, cover and chill.
- When ready to serve, stir in cilantro. Divide shrimp mixture evenly among 6 bowls; top with avocado.
- Garnish with lime wedges.
Loved it! Next time I will cut back on the onion and add a little more cilantro.