Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
Meatballs made with ground turkey in a tangy barbecue style sauce. Serve warm with toothpicks for a tasty appetizer.
FOR THE MEATBALLS
- 1⁄2 lb ground turkey
- 1⁄4 cup breadcrumbs
- 1⁄4 cup buttermilk (I used low fat)
- 1 egg yolk, beaten
- 2 tablespoons fresh sage, finely minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- oil (for frying)
FOR THE SAUCE
- 1⁄2 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- For the meatballs, combine breadcrumbs and buttermilk in small bowl and let sit for about 5 minutes.
- Combine turkey in medium bowl with egg, fresh sage, salt and pepper.
- Stir in breadcrumb mixture.
- Roll into 1-inch meatballs.
- Make the sauce in a small saucepan combining the ketchup, vinegar and honey over medium heat.
- Simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Heat large skillet over medium high heat with a little oil for frying, and add meatballs.
- Fry meatballs until browned and cooked through, about 10 minutes.
- Lower heat and pour sauce over meatballs, stirring gently to coat, and let simmer over low heat for about 5 minutes or until nicely combined and heated through.
- Serve meatballs with toothpicks.
- Can be kept warm in a chafing dish or a crockpot.
I think this recipe has real potential. The meatballs were quite good, but I think a minced garlic clove and (maybe) a tblsp of minced onion would definitely have made them more interesting. The sauce was really not that good and needs some work - too cloyingly sweet. Next time, I will reduce the amount of ketchup by half, add only 1 tblsp of honey, and I think I'd add a tblsp of soy sauce to make it more savoury. When the sauce was added to the meatballs in the skillet, it had glazed them beautifully after a couple of minutes and there was no 'excess' sauce left. Like I said, this recipe does have potential but needs a bit of tweaking.
I basically followed the recipe. Per Evelyn/Athens' suggestions I added dried onions, fresh and garlic to the meatballs. I also added soy sauce to the sauce and reduced the amount of ketchup. Thank you for a good recipe. I think it's a delicious and healthy turkey meatballs recipe.
we liked the meatballs, but didn't care for the sauce, perhaps because this is something i make often using my recipe.good idea for the contest.