When using larger or smaller shrimp, increase or decrease cooking time accordingly.
Make and share this Cocktail Shrimp recipe from Food.com.
- Bring reserved shells, 3 cups water and salt to boil in 4-quart saucepan over medium-high heat; reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer until fragrant, about 20 minutes.
- Strain stock through sieve, pressing on shells to estract all liquid.
- Bring stock and remaining ingredients except shrimp to boil over high heat.
- Boil for 2 minutes then turn off heat.
- Stir in shrimp; cover and let stand until firm and pink, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare large container with ice water.
- After shrimp is done, drain shrimp, reserving stock for another use.
- Then plunge shrimp into ice water to stop cooking, then drain again.
- Serve shrimp chilled with cocktail sauce.