Prep 20 mins
Cook 8 mins
When using larger or smaller shrimp, increase or decrease cooking time accordingly.
- 1 lb very large shrimp, peeled, deveined, and rinsed, reserving shells (16 to 20 per pound)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 4 peppercorns
- 4 coriander seeds
- 1⁄2 bay leaf
- 5 sprigs fresh parsley
- 1 sprig fresh tarragon
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice (from 1 small lemon)
- Bring reserved shells, 3 cups water and salt to boil in 4-quart saucepan over medium-high heat; reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer until fragrant, about 20 minutes.
- Strain stock through sieve, pressing on shells to estract all liquid.
- Bring stock and remaining ingredients except shrimp to boil over high heat.
- Boil for 2 minutes then turn off heat.
- Stir in shrimp; cover and let stand until firm and pink, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare large container with ice water.
- After shrimp is done, drain shrimp, reserving stock for another use.
- Then plunge shrimp into ice water to stop cooking, then drain again.
- Serve shrimp chilled with cocktail sauce.
Enjoyed this shrimp cocktail. I boiled shrimp for 3 minutes and removed from water and then into ice bath. Prepared for 2008 Seafood Challenge in Photo Forum.