Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
.--------The only trick to these is to have everything ready so you can assemble them while the pastry and the vegetables are hot. Otherwise, they are a snap to make, look fabulous and taste good too. ------
- 1⁄2 lb puff pastry, prepared, frozen, thawed (half a package)
- 1⁄4 lb smoked salmon, sliced paper thin
- 3 -4 white potatoes (I use Yukon Gold ( there should be enough to yield 2 cups mashed potatoes)
- 1⁄2 cup cooked carrot, pureed
- 1⁄2 cup cooked fennel, pureed
- 1⁄2 tablespoon horseradish
- salt and pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, mashed
- 1⁄4 cup sour cream (lite is fine)
- 1⁄4 cup heavy cream, whipped
- 1⁄2 tablespoon horseradish (or to taste)
- fennel head (to garnish, fronds)
- carrot curls (to garnish)
- Preheat oven according to pastry package directions.
- Roll out the pastry dough on a prepared cookie sheet and score the dough in twenty four rectangles.
- Bake according to package directions.
- Peel, boil or steam, and mash the potatoes, using some of the potato cooking water if necessary.
- While the pastry is baking, divide the mashed potatoes into two bowls.
- Mix the carrot puree and half the garlic and horseradish into one bowl, the fennel puree and the other half of the garlic and horseradish into the other; season both with salt and pepper and keep hot.
- Combine the sour cream, whipped cream and horseradish and place in a squeeze bottle with a narrow tip (or a pastry bag) and reserve.
- As soon as the pastry comes out of the oven, using a pizza cutter, slice the pastry into the 24 rectangles.
- Working quickly, spread eight rectangles with the fennel/potato mixture, top with.
- a thin layer of smoked salmon and another pastry rectangle.
- Now repeat, spreading the second layer with the carrot/potato mixture and smoked salmon.
- Top with the third series of pastry rectangles.
- Arrange the Napoleans on a serving tray.
- Pipe thin diagonal lines of the horseradish cream on the top of each.
- Garnish the tray with the fennel fronds and carrot curls.
Just served this at my sisters birthday part and it was a big hit. It was my first time wrking with puff pastry and it wasnt too bad. This was a very VERY impressive dish. 5 stars all around.