Recipe by FoodStation1
These mushrooms are crunchy on the outside and quite juicy inside - all without deep frying. When you cook them the aromas in the house are fantastic, because they marinate in herbs and spices prior to cooking. Tomato and cottage cheese sauce makes a great accompaniment for them. This dish is fairly easy to cook and inexpensive. It is great for a cocktail party or a finger food buffet.
- 300 g champignon mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons soya sauce
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 5 garlic cloves
- 1 rosemary sprig (leaves)
- 1 tablespoon herbes de provence
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 4 tomatoes
- 1 onion
- 150 g cottage cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
Directions See How It's Made
- Wipe the champignones with paper towels and place in a large bowl.
- Pour the vinegar, soy sauce and olive oil in a small pan, mix and heat through for a couple of minutes on medium temperature. Add minced garlic, chopped rosemary leaves and herbs and mix well.
- Pour the mix over the mushrooms and leave them to marinade for 30 - 60 minutes.
- Drain the mushrooms. Whisk the egg with a spoonful of flour and pour over the mushrooms. Mix well to cover the mushrooms with batter.
- Spear the mushrooms with cocktail stick and dip in fresh breadcrumbs. (Better to make your own breadcrumbs - just pulse some slices of dry bread in a food processor).
- Place the mushrooms on a baking tray lined with parchment and bake for 20 minutes at 200°C.
- While the mushrooms are cooking, make the sauce. Remove the skin from the tomatoes and blend in a food processor. Chop the onion and saute until transparent in some olive oil on medium heat. Add finely chopped garlic and warm through for another 30 seconds. Add the processed tomatoes and cook for about 10 minutes until extra liquid evaporates. Blend the cottage cheese in a food processor and add to the sauce together with the parsley, salt and pepper and mix well.
- Allow the sauce to cool and blend it in the food processor to get a more silky smooth texture.
- Serve the mushrooms with the sauce with lime or lemon wedges.