I found these on the internet. Delicious with cocktails. Easily made ahead, frozen and then defrosted at room-temp (crisp slightly in a warm oven after defrosting). You can add chopped fresh herbs, sun dried tomatoes, green onions or any other creative additions to the batter at the same time you add the Swiss Cheese (use about 1/3 of a cup of additional ingredients max, or the dough won't turn out - don't use "wet" ingredients such as fruit, fresh tomatoes, etc...) Enjoy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Bring the milk, butter, salt, and cayenne to a boil in a saucepan.
- 2Remove from the heat, add the flour all at once, and mix vigorously with a wooden spatula until the mixture forms a ball. Return the pan to the heat and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, for about 1 minute to dry the mixture a bit. Transfer to the bowl of a food processor, let cool for 5 minutes, then process for about 5 seconds.
- 3Add the eggs and paprika to the processor bowl, and process for 10 to 15 seconds, until well mixed.
- 4Transfer the choux paste to a mixing bowl, and let cool for 10 minutes.
- 5Preheat the oven to 375°.
- 6Line a cookie sheet with a reusable nonstick baking mat or parchment paper.
- 7Reserve 1 tablespoon of the grated Parmesan cheese, then add the remainder and all the Swiss cheese to the choux paste. Stir just enough to incorporate.
- 8Using a tablespoon, scoop out a level tablespoon of the gougère dough, and push it off the spoon onto the cooking mat.
- 9Continue making individual gougères, spacing them about 2-inches apart on the sheet. Sprinkle a few grains of coarse salt and a little of the reserved Parmesan cheese on each gougère.
- 10Bake for about 30 minutes, until nicely browned and crisp.
- 11Serve lukewarm or at room temperature with drinks.
Browse Our Top High Calcium Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All High Calcium Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cocktail Cheese Puffs (Gougères)
Serving Size: 1 (26 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 30
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 69.1
- Calories from Fat 39
- Total Fat 4.3 g
- Saturated Fat 2.5 g
- Cholesterol 32.7 mg
- Sodium 77.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 3.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.1 g
- Sugars 0.1 g
- Protein 3.4 g