7 hrs 15 mins
Paris D's Note:
Serve on its own or over pasta
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 12 ounces swiss chard
- 1 cup lentils, rinsed, drained
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced, pressed your choice
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed, coarsely crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/8 teaspoon fresh coarse ground black pepper
- 2 cups reduced-sodium fat-free chicken broth
- 6 ounces neufchatel cheese, room temperature
- 1Rinse and drain chard well. Trim off coarse stem ends; then cut stems crosswise into 1/4-inch-wide strips and set aside.
- 2Cover chard leaves and refrigerate.
- 3In a 3-quart or larger crockpot, combine chard stems,lentils, onion, garlic, cumin seeds, red pepper flakes, and black pepper.
- 4Pour in chicken broth. Cover and cook at low setting until lentils are tender when mashed with a fork (6 to 7 hours).
- 5Cut chard leaves crosswise into 1/2-inch-wide strips; stir into cooker.
- 6Increase heat setting to high; cover and cook until chard is wilted and bright green (about 15 minutes more).
- 7Season lentil sauce to taste with salt.
- 8If serving over cooked pasta, add lentil sauce and Neufchatel cheese to linquine and mix lightly to coat well.
- 9Offer freshly grated Parmesan cheese to add taste, if desired.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cockpot Lentils and Chard
Serving Size: 1 (829 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 157.7
- Calories from Fat 73
- Total Fat 8.1 g
- Saturated Fat 4.4 g
- Cholesterol 25.2 mg
- Sodium 262.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 14.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.7 g
- Sugars 3.5 g
- Protein 8.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
reduced-sodium fat-free chicken broth