1 hr 15 mins
Tea Girl's Note:
Wales is country tied to the sea. This cawl celebrates the wonderful seafood of Wales. Based on this recipe: http://www.visitwales.co.uk/about-wales-guide-to-wales-culture-people-and-language/food/welsh-recipes/new-food/#3
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 large smoked fish fillet, cut into 4 even sized pieces (seabass)
- 25 g unsalted butter
- 1 leek, white only chopped finely
- 2 slices unsmoked bacon, chopped into small pieces
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
- 150 ml dry white wine
- 350 ml chicken stock
- 1 kg live cockles or 250 g cockle meat
- 400 ml milk
- 1 teaspoon peppercorn
- 1 tablespoon double cream
- 1 dessert spoon laverbread (optional)
- 1Melt the butter in a large saucepan.
- 2Add the leek, potatoes and bacon and cook over a low heat until the bacon is cooked and the leek softened but not coloured.
- 3Add 100ml of the wine and all the stock. Cover and simmer for 15-20mins until the potatoes are cooked.
- 4If you prefer a thickened cawl, remove a ladleful and puree. Return to the pan.
- 5Meanwhile poach the seabass in the milk with the peppercorns for 10 mins or until the seabass is cooked. Strain and reserve the poaching liquor.
- 6Keep the seabass warm.
- 7In another saucepan, heat the remaining wine.
- 8Add the live cockles and cover with a tight-?tting lid. Cook for 3- 4mins, shaking the pan occasionally until the cockles have opened. Strain and discard any unopened cockles.
- 9Remove cockle meat from shell, reserving 4 or 5 cockles in their shell for presentation.
- 10Add 250ml of the seabass poaching liquor, the cream and the laverbread to the leek and potato cawl. Stir until combined and heat gently.
- 11Add the cockles and heat until hot. Place the seabass in warmed bowls and spoon over the cawl.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cockle Cawl With Wild Anglesey Oak Smoked Sea Bass
Serving Size: 1 (362 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 279.7
- Calories from Fat 101
- Total Fat 11.2 g
- Saturated Fat 6.6 g
- Cholesterol 34.9 mg
- Sodium 189.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 30.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.9 g
- Sugars 3.4 g
- Protein 8.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
smoked fish fillet