Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
Moist delicious chocolate cake that tastes like a brownie. Its so easy make put everything in one pan.
- 1 1⁄3 cups flour
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup cold water
- 4 tablespoons softened butter
- 2⁄3 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk or 2 tablespoons cream
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
- nuts, are (optional)
- Pour flour into the sifter, add to it the cocoa, soda, sugar and salt; sift this into a greased square pan, about 9x9x2 inches. Now make 3 holes in the dry mixture. Into one, pour the oil, into the next, the vinegar; into the last, the vanilla. Now pour the cold water over it all. You'll feel as if you are making a mud pies, but beat with a spoon until it's nearly smoth and you can't see the flour.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes. Then take the cake out and let is cool slightly. Do not turn the oven off !
- Sugar Topping: Mix all topping ingredients together in a bowl. Then spread on cake and put back into the oven till the frosting bubbles on the whole top of the cake.
Yum! Yum! and Yum! This will be printed out and put in my keeper recipe book. Very good chocolate taste.
This was totally unbelievable - addictive and chocolatey and EASY !!!! How is it I have only discovered it now when it seems this cake has a history going back as far as the Depression ?????????