Recipe by Tea Jenny
This is a nice warming meal on it's own. I wanted to use leeks that were in season and a good price. and of course leeks have a nice delicate taste. I used mostly the white part of the leek and saved the dark green for soup so nothing went to waste. If you choose you can make the sauce with half milk and half stock.
Top Review by strawberrybird
My husband and guests loved this, but I thought the chicken came out a little dry. This may not be due to the recipe so much as the quality of the meat, but I wanted to mention it. The flavor was lovely and I enjoyed a new way of including leeks in my meals.
- 4 chicken breasts
- 2 large leeks
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or 1 tablespoon butter
- 40 g butter
- 25 g all-purpose flour
- 425 ml of cold milk
- salt and pepper
- breadcrumbs, roughly crumbed
- grated cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash and chop leeks into one inch pieces and saute in oil or butter untill soft and coated.
- Then remove from pan and put in a 25cm x 20cm x 10cm oven proof dish.
- Cut up chicken into smallish pieces and brown in the same pan.
- Scatter the chicken evenly on top of the leeks.
- Set this to one side and make the sauce.
- Place butter, flour, milk, salt and pepper in a pot on the stove top and heat on a medium heat.
- Whisk untill the sauce starts to bubble and thicken and change to a wooden spoon to give it a good stir then whisk again thoroughly.
- Turn the heat down and cook the sauce for about 5 minutes.
- If you start with everything cold it won't go lumpy.
- You can if you like add cheese to this or just leave it plain.
- Pour sauce on top of chicken.
- Mix bread crumbs and cheese and sprinkle on the top.
- Place in a preheated oven at 175 or 350 for 45 minutes.