3 hrs 30 mins
2 hrs 30 mins
Pork Cooked in a Pit (traditional pork bbq of the Yucatan Peninsula)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 lbs pork shoulder or 4 lbs pork butt or 4 lbs chicken, trimmed of tendons and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons safflower oil
- 4 large tomatoes, sliced
- 2 medium white onions, sliced
- 1 large banana leaf
- white rice
- 1Preparing the Achiote Rub:
- 2Note, if using prepared achiote paste instead of achiote seeds, skip the soaking and crushing step. Simply mash the paste with the orange juice and vinegar and then transfer the mixture to a blender.
- 3Mix the achiote seeds with the orange juice and vinegar and soak for 1 hour to soften them.
- 4Using a molcajete, or Mortar and pestle, crush the achiote seeds with a little of the soaking liquid.
- 5Transfer the seeds and soaking liquid to a blender and add the remaining rub ingredients; blend to a paste.
- 6Reserve 2 tablespoons of the paste for cooking with the tomatoes.
- 7Rub the pork cubes with the remaining achiote rub and set aside.
- 8Heat Oil in heavy skillet over medium heat. Add tomatoes, Onions and the reserved 2 tablespoons of achiote rub. Fry for about 3 minutes and set aside.
- 9Cooking the Pork:.
- 10Preheat oven to 350 degrees. have a large heavy dutch oven ready.
- 11Using tongs, carefully sear the banana leaf over an open flame until flexible.
- 12Line the dutch oven with the banana leaf and arrange the pork cubes on the leaf.
- 13Cover the pork with Tomato mixture, folding the banana leaf over the top.
- 14Cover and cook in preheated oven for 2 to 2/12 hours basting occasionally with juices from bottom of the pot. Remove from the oven and transfer to a serving platter.
- 15Garnish with "Cebollas Rojas en Escabeche (mexican pickled vegetables)" and serve with white rice. Serve 6.
Nutritional Facts for Cochinita Pibil Fonda San Miguel
Serving Size: 1 (492 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 831.0
- Calories from Fat 541
- Total Fat 60.1 g
- Saturated Fat 19.4 g
- Cholesterol 214.7 mg
- Sodium 1375.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 18.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.3 g
- Sugars 5.6 g
- Protein 54.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
whole black peppercorns