2 hrs 20 mins
Slow roasted Boston Butt, or pork shoulder with achiote marinade. The best pork I have ever made. Don't let the long list of ingredients scare you, it is quite easy to make. My old friend's mom who was from Mexico gave me this recipe, and I can't keep it to meself!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Poke holes all over the pork with a fork. Rub achiote paste (I make my own, search my recipes) all over the pork, and set aside.
- 2In a large bowl, mix together the orange juice, lemon juice, and habanero peppers.
- 3Mix in the cumin, paprika, chili powder, coriander, salt and pepper.
- 4Place pork in the mixture, cover, and refrigerate overnight, turning two or three times.
- 5Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C).
- 6Wrap the pork and marinade in aluminum foil or banana leaves that have been soaked in water for 30 minutes.
- 7Place into a casserole dish, and cover.
- 8Bake for about 2 hours, until the meat falls off the bone. The slower you cook it, the better it is. Cooking time varies greatly, from 2 hours to 4 hours depending on oven, seal of banana leaves, meat etc.
- 9I don't have one, but some say it is great and easy in a slow cooker without the foil or leaves.
- 10While the pork is cooking, make the sauce. Bring the red wine vinegar to a boil in a small saucepan.
- 11Add onions, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer until tender.
- 12Pour sauce over pork, and serve with white rice and corn tortillas.
- 13Each person can make tacos or fajitas with the pork, the rice and the sauce.
- 14* If you can't find Sevilla OJ, use 1/3 cup normal OJ, and 2/3 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice.
Nutritional Facts for Cochinita Pibil
Serving Size: 1 (265 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 383.2
- Calories from Fat 217
- Total Fat 24.1 g
- Saturated Fat 8.2 g
- Cholesterol 99.7 mg
- Sodium 105.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 9.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.3 g
- Sugars 5.9 g
- Protein 29.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: