Prep 10 mins
Cook 2 hrs
- 3 lbs beef chuck, lean
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 cups onions, chopped
- 1 cl garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon caraway seed
- 1⁄2 cup Coca-Cola
- 1⁄4 cup red wine
- 4 ripe tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 3 tablespoons flour
- Cut the beef into 1/2-inch cubes discarding the bone and fat.
- In a Dutch oven melt the oil andadd the meat stirring to brown on all sides. Remove the meat cubes as they brown.
- Saute the onion and garlic in the drippings until they are soft.
- Stir in the paprika salt and caraway seeds; cook for 1 minute.
- Stir in the meat Coca-Cola wine and tomatoes.
- Cover tightly; simmer about 1-1/2 hours or until the meat is fork-tender.
- In a bowl blend the flour with a little water to make a smooth paste; stir into goulash.
- Serve with hot noodles.
This was a nice stew for our dinner but tasted like a regular goulash. The addition of coca-cola intrigued me but I don't really think it added anything overwhelming to the dish other than unnecessary sugar. Was still a nice dinner for us though and nice to try something different. Thanks!