Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
I've learned not to diss recipes that have Coca Cola in them, they are usually delicious, and this one is sublime!
- 1 can Coca-Cola (12 ounce can)
- 1 (8 ounce) package pitted dates, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Coat a 9" x 5" loaf pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a medium saucepan, bring the cola to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the dates, brown sugar, and oil; mix well then set aside to cool.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and cinnamon; stir until well combined.
- Add to the cola mixture then stir in the egg and vanilla until well combined; spoon into the loaf pan.
- Bake for 55 to 60 minutes, or until a wooden toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool on a wire rack for 15 minutes before removing from the pan.
This cake was fine -- nothing special, but very easy to make. If I make it again, I'd add some walnuts or raisins to jazz it up a little.
This is really tasty! You would not think that there is cola in it, but that being the case, I reduced the amount of sugar, since the cola was already sweet. I also like the fact that this recipe is dairy-free - I can bring it to family gatherings and it will be something that everyone can enjoy.