Recipe by P4
I was served this salad on my honeymoon. The ingredients are all minced very fine, then they are tossed with the dressing at the last minute. I love it. It's perfect as a light lunch or dinner all by itself on a very hot summer day.
Top Review by Mike K.
I was a chef on the opening crew that opened the Brown Derby at Disney World MGM studio. This is the recipe that Ron Cobb Jr. showed us how to make the salad. The items are placed in rows on the top of the salad and the salad was finished with the dressing tableside.
- 1⁄2 head iceberg lettuce
- 1⁄2 bunch watercress
- 1 bunch chicory lettuce
- 1⁄2 head romaine lettuce
- 2 medium tomatoes, skinned and seeded
- 1⁄2 lb smoked turkey breast
- 6 slices crisp bacon
- 1 avocado, sliced in half,seeded and peeled
- 3 hardboiled egg
- 2 tablespoons chives, chopped fine
- 1⁄2 cup blue cheese, crumbled
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1⁄8 teaspoon sugar
- 3⁄4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar (or red wine vinegar)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced very fine
Directions See How It's Made
- Chop all the greens very, very fine (almost minced).
- Arrange in rows in a chilled salad bowl.
- Cut the tomatoes in half, seed, and chop very fine.
- Fine dice the turkey, avocado, eggs and bacon.
- Arrange all the ingredients, including the blue cheese, in rows across the lettuces.
- Sprinkle with the chives.
- Present at the table in this fashion, then toss with the dressing at the very last minute and serve in chilled salad bowls.
- Serve with fresh french bread.
- FOR THE DRESSING: Combine all the ingredients except the olive oil in a blender and blend.
- Slowly, with the machine running, add the oil and blend well.
- Keep refrigerated.
- *NOTE:This dish should be kept chilled, and served as chilled as possible.