Recipe by CountryLady
The Cobb Salad was originally created by Bobb Cobb who owned the Brown Derby Restaurant in Hollywood, California. This version comes from Michael Bonacini who owns a restaurant in Toronto, Canada...is a chef on the Food Network and a regular guest on my favourite talk show. You can use goat's cheese or feta instead of roquefort and you can substitute the chicken with turkey, ham or shrimp.
Top Review by BoxO'Wine
Stumbled across this recipe while looking for a different way to use up the cooked chicken in my freezer. Followed the recipe exactly and mixing some of the dressing into the chicken was a very clever touch. I put goat cheese on my salad, and DH used roquefort. Will make this again, especially on a hot summer evening.
- 1⁄2 head iceberg lettuce, washed & dried
- 1⁄2 head romaine lettuce, washed & dried
- 1 bunch watercress, washed & dried
- 1 small Belgian endive, washed & dried
- 2 medium ripe tomatoes
- 2 chicken breasts, poached
- 6 slices crisp bacon, crumbled
- 1 avocado
- 3 eggs, hard boiled
- 2 tablespoons chives, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup Roquefort cheese, crumbled
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 3⁄4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 clove garlic, minced (very small)
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 3⁄4 cup salad oil
Directions See How It's Made
- PREPARE DRESSING: Combine all ingredients, except oils& blend well.
- Combine olive oil& salad oil in a separate bowl& mix well.
- Add to other ingredients& mix well.
- Cover& refrigerate until using.
- It keeps well for 6 weeks but be sure to blend well again just before using.
- PREPARE SALAD: Shred first 4 ingredients into 1/4 inch strips, toss together and place on 4 plates.
- Dice tomatoes, season with salt& pepper and place on top of the greens in one area of the plate.
- Cut chicken into strips, toss with bacon bits and 1 tbsp of the salad dressing and place beside the tomatoes.
- Dice or coarsely mash the avocado; season with salt& pepper and place next to the chicken.
- Cut the hard boiled eggs into quarters and arrange on the plates.
- Drizzle dressing over the salad, sprinkle with the roquefort& chives.