Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
Believe it or not, we gave this to some 8-10 year old kids and they thought they were chicken nuggets!! Of course we didn't have to tell them the truth...
- 350 g firm tofu, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1⁄2 cup breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons cornmeal
- 3⁄4 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Preheat oven to 400°F
- Mix all the dry ingredients in a medium sized plastic bag or in a bowl.
- Pat dry the tofu on paper towel.
- Place the slices or cubes inside a plastic bag and gently shake to coat tofu with the dry mixture.
- Place on a greased baking sheet.
- Lightly spray tofu with cooking oil spray.
- Place in oven and bake for approximately 25-30 minutes until golden brown.
- Serve with your favorite dip (i.e. bar-b-que sauce, ranch dressing, honey-mustard, etc.).
Great for tofu lovers, not so great otherwise ... mine couldn't pass for chicken nuggets!! I had a lot of the dry mixture left over -- I think half the listed amount would have been plenty! They look innocuous, but the peppers give it an unexpected "zip." Thanks for posting!