Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is a fameous recipe from the Brockton Villa restaurant in La Jolla, CA.
- 1 loaf soft French bread (sliced diagonally, about 1 1/2-inch thick)
- 1 quart whipping cream
- 10 eggs
- 3⁄4 cup orange juice
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 tablespoons vanilla
- 2 tablespoons orange flavoring
- Combine liquid ingredients. Pour over bread slices. Cover and refrigerate at least one hour.
- Remove bread and discard liquid.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Spread butter on flat grill. Cook bread until golden brown, then bake at 450 degrees for 5-7 minutes or until bread is puffed up like a souffle.
- Dust with powdered sugar. Serve immediately.