Prep 1 hr 5 mins
Cook 25 mins
My family loves this bread! I like to serve it especially with soups and sometimes along with dinner. This is the bread I make when I don't use my bread machine. This recipe came from a good cook in our area that she shared in our local paper. The prep time includes the rising time, and I put 25 min. baking time, but start checking after 20 minutes. Thanks for trying this, I hope you enjoy it as much as we do!
- In a large mixing bowl, combine 2 cups flour, yeast, sugar, salt and pepper.
- Mix well In a saucepan, heat milk, water and shortening until warm.
- Add to flour mixture Add egg and beat at low speed until moistened.
- Beat 3 minutes at medium speed.
- By hand, add cheese and enough flour to make a firm dough.
- Knead well on a floured surface until smooth and elastic, about 10 minutes.
- Punch dough down, divide into 2 parts.
- Shape into 2 round loaves.
- Place on a greased baking sheet, cover and let rise in a warm oven until light and doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 20-25 minutes, until golden brown.
- Cool on racks, Makes 2 loaves.
This bread was not as "cheddary" as some others I've made, but it is delicious and makes wonderful sandwiches. Love the little kick the pepper gives. I added a bit of asiago cheese to the cheddar. It also made the most beautiful loaves of all in my traditional Christmas bread baking marathon.
Made this to go with dinner last night and it was great. Loved the bite of the pepper, and the flavor of the cheese. I did a few things different. Cut the recipe in half to make one loaf. Added sourdough starter for half of the yeast to give it that sourdough zing. Added gluten to increase the rise, used sharp cheddar cut in cubes instead of grated and made it all, including kneading in my KA. Even so it made one HUGE loaf, that was soft and light on the inside with a great crusty outside slices of this will be great on sandwiches. I will be using this recipe again. Thinking I might even try making it in rolls. A great recipe as is, and I loved my small changes too.
delicious!! this is a fairly quick bread to make since it only has 1 short rise. i used cubed pepper jack and monterrey cheeses (a little more than called for). came out very moist.