Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
For those on your "naughty" list this year.
Make and share this Coal Candy recipe from Food.com.
- 4 cups sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups corn syrup
- 1 cup water
- 2 teaspoons anise extract
- 1 teaspoon black food coloring paste
- Line an 8-inch square METAL baking pan with foil, extending the edges over the sides of the pan. Lightly grease the foil with butter; set aside.
- Measure sugar, corn syrup and water in large heavy pot.
- Stir over medium-low heat until sugar is dissolved and mixture comes to a boil, being careful not to splash sugar mixture on side of pan.
- Carefully clip candy thermometer to side of pan (do not let bulb touch bottom of pan).
- Cook about 15 minutes, without stirring, until thermometer registers 290.
- Immediately remove from heat.
- Stir in anise extract and food coloring.
- Pour mixture into prepared pan. Cool completely.
- To get big pieces of coal-looking candy, gently drop pan to break the candy.
Ho Ho Ho...good one! This is the perfect thing to trick those little ones who are on the fence and not sure what Christmas morning will bring. I'll have Mrs. Claus whip some of these up straightaway!