Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
Created for RSC #10. For a treat, try a strip of cooked bacon under the cheese before toasting.
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon dijon-style mustard
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup (or more)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon parsley
- 1 pinch celery seed
- salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon red onion, chopped very finely
- 1⁄4 cup cooked chicken
- 1⁄4 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 whole wheat bun
- Combine first 7 ingredients in a small bowl and mix to combine.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Add onion and chicken and stir to coat evenly.
- Split bun in half and place on a baking sheet.
- Divide mixture between the two sides and then top with grated cheese.
- Bake until cheese melts and chicken mixture bubbles.
- Allow to cool slightly before eating.
Made this last night. Had some extra roasted chicken left over and wanted something quick and tasty to use it up. It was great. I didn't have any celery seeds, and can't eat raw onion so left that out, but otherwise followed recipe, putting half on one slice of bread and half on the other and eating them both open faced all by myself! The maple syrup and mustard made it so good! Thanks, Pamela!
Very good combination of ingredients for a nice hot sandwich. I quadrupled the amount of ingredients to make 3 large sandwiches (my buns were big!).
This was good. Was looking for away to use up some leftover cooked chicken breast. This was different and interesting looking. I misread the recipe and added 1 tbsp of dijon mustard, not sure if that is why I found the maple flavor non-existent and ended up using more maple syrup. Will try this again... with the right quantities. Used whole grain dijon mustard, subbed onion powder for the onion, and celery salt for the celery seed. Omitted the parsley, but like the suggestion of using italian seasoning. Tried it on a slice of bread and also on a pita (sort of like a pizza!). Baked in toaster oven for 12 minutes @ 400. Sprinkled red pepper flakes on top for a little kick.