These are really popular finger food in Australia. Maybe you call them ribbon sandwiches, but most often they are know as club sandwiches here.
- If you have your bread sliced at the thickness for sandwiches, you should have 8 long slices.
- Soften the cream cheese in the microwave if necessary so you don't tear the bread.
- Lay your bread slices out, and spread with the cream cheese-just as you would with butter for a normal sandwich.
- On the first slice, top with the ham, then a bread slice, top with tomato, and a bread slice, top with the mashed egg, then a final bread slice.
- Season each layer with salt and pepper to taste.
- Repeat with the remaining 4 slices of bread and filling.
- I like to place 12 cocktail sticks in the sandwich stacks so I can see where I will be cutting, then I take my electric knife, remove the crusts, and finally cut each stack into 12.
- *Theseare only suggested filling that are popular and cut easily.
Oh my, talk about childhood flashback!!! Every year, growing up, our neighbour served these at our Christmas present swap. She would either serve them at her place or bring a plate to ours. I took a batch to a Christmas party myself & they flew off the plate!!! Her filling varied slightly: ham, egg, then cheese slices (you know, the kind wrapped in plastic). When I made these I used your toppings, but just switched the cheese spread for slices. The tomato was a lovely addition. I also varied the bread, using white & rye for a nice presentation. Again, I don't know why I didn't review as I often look at this recipe with a smile. Thanks Jan for the trip down memory lane :-)
This was an awesome sandwich. WE really enjoyed this tasty treat JustJanS. Excellent flavors, great textures, light, refreshing and filling. Loved how all the flavors blended beautifully together, yet you could still taste the cream cheese over everything else. This was a messy finger licking good sandwich, which I have already made three times. So yummy, it is perfect for either, breakfast, lunch or supper; as we had it the first time with a nice bowl of soup. Thank you so much for sharing a new family favorite, which has made it into My Favorites Cookbook for 2012....Kudos