Recipe by College Girl
This came from my roommates 1977 Better Homes and Gardens All-Time Favorite Casserole recipes book. I haven't tried it yet but it sounds pretty good to me...
Top Review by dianasportal
this was my go to recipe in the 70's and now that my cooking skills are much improved i made it again using fresh garlic, mushrooms, onion and substituted pearl barley for the rice, some goat cheese and herbs de provence, substituted baby leseur peas for the brocolli, homemade chicken stock and it was fabulous.
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2⁄3 cup white rice, cooked (not instant preferably)
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped broccoli
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons margarine
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 dash pepper
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups cubed cooked chicken or 2 cups turkey
- 1 (4 1/2 ounce) jar sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1⁄4 cup sliverd almonds, toasted
- opt. curly parsley, for garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- In a saucepan bring chicken broth and rice to boiling.
- Reduce heat; cook, covered, for 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat; let stand, covered, for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook broccoli according to package directions; drain well.
- In a saucepan melt butter or margarine.
- Stir in flour, salt, and pepper.
- Add milk all at once; cook and stir till thickened an bubbly.
- Stir in chicken, cooked rice, drained broccoli, and mushrooms.
- Turn into a 2-quart casserole.
- Bake, covered at 350 degrees till heated through, 30 to 35 munutes.
- Sprinkle with almonds and garnish with parsley on top.