Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Gourmet comfort food
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups hot milk
- 1 dash hot pepper sauce
- 1 dash Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄2 cup half-and-half
- 1⁄4 cup dry sherry
- 2 cups diced cooked chicken
- 2 egg yolks, beaten
- Melt butter in heavy medium saucepan with ovenproof handle.
- Blend in flour until smooth.
- Gradually stir in milk until smooth and thickened.
- Stir in hot pepper sauce, worchestershire, white pepper and season to taste with salt.
- Cover and bake at 300F, 1 1/2 hours.
- Strain sauce.
- Stir in half and half, sherry and chicken.
- Heat over low heat until heated through.
- Adjust seasonings.
- Add small amount of hot sauce to egg yolks.
- Return yolk mixture to saucepan.
- Heat, stirring until slightly thickened.
- Do not boil.
- Serve hot over toast, waffle, baked potato shell or wild rice.
- Makes 4 servings.