Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
These are delicious with just a hint of sweetness. Bake these rolls up to a day ahead; store at room temperature in a zip-top plastic bag, or freeze them for later. Wrap the rolls in foil and reheat at 350 degrees for 10 minutes or until warm.
- 2 1⁄4 teaspoons dry yeast (1 packet)
- 1 cup warm water (100 degrees to 110 degrees)
- 2 cups bread flour, divided
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon salt
- cooking spray
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 large egg
- Dissolve yeast in 1 cup warm water in a large bowl; let stand 5 minutes. Lightly spoon flours into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Add 1 1/2 cups bread flour, whole wheat flour, honey, butter, and salt to yeast mixture; stir until well blended. Add 1/4 cup bread flour; stir until a soft dough forms.
- Turn dough out onto a floured surface. Knead until smooth and elastic (about 8 minutes); add enough of remaining bread flour, 1 tablespoon at a time, to prevent dough from sticking to hands (dough will feel tacky).
- Place dough in a large bowl coated with cooking spray, turning to coat top. Cover and let rise in a warm place (85 degrees), free from drafts, 1 hour or until doubled in size. (Press two fingers into dough. If indentation remains, the dough has risen enough.) Punch dough down; cover and let rest 5 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Coat 12 muffin cups with cooking spray. Divide dough into 12 equal portions. Working with 1 portion at a time, divide each portion into 3 pieces; shape each piece into a ball (cover remaining dough to prevent it from drying). Place 3 balls in each muffin cup. Cover and let rise 25 minutes or until doubled in size.
- Uncover dough. Combine 1 tablespoon water and egg; brush over rolls. Bake at 425 degrees for 12 minutes or until lightly browned. Serve warm.