Prep 2 hrs 40 mins
Cook 15 mins
Tender and delicious. From Taste of Home.
- 1 cup all-bran cereal
- 1 cup boiling water
- 2 (1/4 ounce) packages active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 cup shortening
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 6 cups all-purpose flour
- In a small bowl, combine bran and boiling water; set aside.
- In another bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream shortening, sugar and salt. Add eggs and yeast mixture; mix well.
- Add bran mixture and 2 cups flour; beat well. Gradually add enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic; about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch the dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface. Divide into six portions; divide each into 12 pieces. Shape each into a ball; place three balls in each greased muffin cup.
- Cover and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Bake at 350* for 15-18 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from pans to wire racks.