Prep 2 mins
Cook 3 hrs
This is one of my Mum's delicacies. Dad actually taught her how to make it, but now she has taken over and handed it down :) Really has restaurant quality, exotic flavours! I hope you enjoy as much as we do :)
- 1 (1 1/2-2 kg) corned beef (Silverside)
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons golden syrup (or brown sugar)
- 1 small orange, quartered (or 1/2 large orange)
- 6 whole cloves
- 2 liters water (more if necessary)
- Place all ingredients into a slow cooker or crock pot. Make sure the meat is covered with water (top up if necessary). Cook on low for 8-10 hours or high for 5-6 hours.
- Or for non crock pot:.
- First, cover the meat in water (only) and boil for an hour to reduce the salt. Tip the water out then add fresh water and the rest of the ingredients to finish cooking. Bring back to the boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 2-3 hours or until meat is tender.
- Serve with steamed carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage etc. with white sauce.
This was a nice twist on our usual corned silverside. I used a little more water, so added in a tiny bit more of the golden syrup, sugar and two more cloves so the yummy flavours wouldn't be diluted. I served this with my Mustard Sauce for Corned Beef which was really good made with the cooking liquid. I googled silverside to check the fat content and found Australian silverside is 6g of fat per 100g so you would need to eat about 3/4 of the piece of meat yourself to get 71g of fat! A bit of a difference between old fashioned corned beef and lean silverside!. Looking forward to leftovers in sandwiches over the next few days!