Recipe by Sandi (From CA)
This recipe combines 1/2 cup of the brew from Instant Chai Tea Mix with 1/2 cup of a very simple clove tea brew. I list full ingredients for both. It's really easy and flavorful and I like to have both on hand to mix to everyone's desired combination. Clove *oil* is said to have numerous beneficial medicinal qualities related to digestion, dental care, stress, infections, headache, respiratory problems, earache, nausea, blood circulation, diabetes, and immune health. NOTE: the powdered Chai mix yields about 36 servings by itself while the fresh clove tea mix yields 4 full cups, so you can keep the former on hand in the cupboard ready to go!
For the Chai
- 1 cup nonfat dry milk powder
- 1 cup non-dairy powdered coffee creamer
- 1 cup powdered french vanilla fat free non-dairy coffee creamer
- 2 1⁄2 cups white sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups unsweetened instant tea
STIR INTO THE ABOVE
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
Add 2 T of the mix above to 1/2 cup hot water or
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened coconut milk (use water OR coconut milk) (optional)
For the Clove Tea
- 1 quart water
- 1 tablespoon whole cloves (freshly ground in a spice grinder or mortar and pestle)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large bowl, combine milk powder, non-dairy creamer, vanilla flavored creamer, sugar and instant tea. Stir in ginger, cinnamon, cloves, cardamom, nutmeg, allspice and white pepper. In a blender or food processor, blend 1 cup at a time, until mixture is the consistency of fine powder. Store in a tightly sealed container.
- Bring water for the clove tea to a boil.
- Turn off the heat, add the ground cloves and let steep for 20 minutes.
- Strain through a fine mesh strainer. At this point, you can add sugar/cream or drink it as is, but if you're new to the spicy tea experience, you can dilute the brew with a little more hot water. If you want the entire Clove Chai Tea experience, then do NOT add sugar or cream and carry on.
- Mix the Chai by adding 2 heaping tablespoons into 1/2 mug of hot water or, for a more decadent treat, use hot, unsweetened coconut milk instead of water!
- Now top off the mug with the hot clove tea, stir and enjoy. :).