Prep 14 hrs
Cook 1 hr
This recipe comes close to the real thing.
- Cook cream in top of double boiler over simmering water until reduced by about half.
- It should be the consistency of butter, with a golden"crust" on the top.
- Transfer, including crust, to bowl.
- Cover and let stand 2 hours, then refrigerate at least 12 hours.
- Stir crust into cream before serving.
- Keep unused portions refrigerated, tightly covered, for up to 4 days.
I suppose I did something wrong, but it didn't work for me. It would be helpful to know a few things: How long do you generally simmer it before it's "reduced by half"? When you say it should be the consistency of butter, is that softened butter? Melted butter?
I started this recipe at 10 at night for a party the following morning. At 1 I don't think it was reduced by half and it had a crust... but I don't know if it was the consistency of butter... Maybe the non-crust part was the consistency of melted butter...
I just used it anyway and it wasn't bad with scones. Not clotted cream though. If I'd had a better idea of how long it was supposed to take, etc., I would have had a better idea of if my heat was high enough, etc.
Very close to the original.