Recipe by byZula
This recipe is from Alton Brown. (This is a recipe I adopted from the Zaar account.)
Top Review by muddwife
This turned out beautifully. I scraped it down once every two hours until the consistancy was that of thin yogurt. Caution: this thickens as it stands at room temperature so make it a little thinner than you think it should be. Perfect on scones with lemon curd and on strawberry shortcake. Regular pasturized cream MUST be used but it is well worth the time and effort for an authentic clotted cream. (especially because a 6 oz. jar in the store can cost $12)
- 2 cups pasteurized cream (not ultra-pasteurized)
- coffee filter
Directions See How It's Made
- Set a coffee filter basket, lined with a filter, in a strainer, over a bowl.
- Pour the cream almost to the top of the filter.
- Refrigerate for 2 hours.
- The whey will sink to the bottom passing through the filter leaving a ring of clotted cream.
- Scrape this down with a rubber spatula and repeat every couple of hours until it reaches the consistency of soft cream cheese.
- This could take from 8 to 12 hours.