Recipe by Chef Kate
From Chocolate and Zucchini: Daily Adventures in a Parisian Kitchen by Clotilde Dusoulier. This can be made with either butter or olive oil, but if you use the oil make sure it is a really good one with a flavor that will complement the other ingredients. Clothilde suggests garnishing with very thin zucchini slices, sprinkling with 10x or glazing with bittersweet chocolate; I go for confectioner's sugar sifted through a doily or stencil.
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature plus more for greasing (or 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil, plus 1 teaspoon olive oil for greasing)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened dutch cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee granules (I use espresso powder)
- 3 large eggs
- 2 cups unpeeled grated zucchini, from about 1 1/2 medium zucchini (keep the remaining 1/2 zucchini for optional garnish)
- 1 cup bittersweet chocolate chips, good-quality
- confectioners' sugar, for garnishing
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 350F and grease a 10-inch springform pan with butter or oil.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. In a food processor, process the sugar and butter until creamy (you can also do this by hand, armed with a sturdy spatula or in a stand mixer). Add the vanilla, coffee granules, and eggs, mixing well between each addition.
- Reserve a cup of the flour mixture and add the rest to the egg mixture. Mix until just combined; the batter will be thick.
- Add the zucchini and chocolate chips to the reserved flour mixture and toss to coat. Fold into the batter and blend with a wooden spoon-don’t over mix. Pour into the prepared cake pan and level the surface with a spatula.
- Bake for 40 to 50 minutes, until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Transfer to a rack to cool for 10 minutes, run a knife around the pan to loosen the cake, and unclasp the sides of the pan.
- Let cool to room temperature before serving.
- Sprinkle with confectioners’ sugar, glaze with melted chocolate, or decorate with a few slices of raw zucchini (you don’t have to eat them, though).