Prep 1 hr
Cook 12 mins
My fam. love these, I make them every holiday in the winter.
- 1 cup milk
- 5 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 1⁄2 cup Crisco
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 4 cups flour
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 lb margarine or 1 lb butter
- 8 ounces sour cream (I used plain no-fat yogurt)
- Make FILLING 1st, put in fridge till cookies are baked.
- FILLING: Cook on low til thickened, milk, flour.
- Cool in fridge.
- Beat tog marg and crisco.
- Beat well.
- Add vanilla, and sugar.
- Beat well.
- Add the cooled flour mixture& beat, beat beat!
- DOUGH: Measure flour, add a pinch salt.
- Cut in 1 pound marg or butter (as for pie crust).
- Blend in sour ceam (I used plain no-fat yogurt).
- Refrigerate overnite or at least 6 hours.
- Cut dough into 4 pieces.
- Roll out thin, 1 piece at a time (keep rest in fridge til ready to roll).
- Cut rolled piece into 1"x 4" long pieces.
- Wrap loosely around pins, (see NOTE) making sure dough overlaps somewhat, so as to not have"holes" or"gaps".
- Bake 350 about 12-15 minutes or till very lite golden color.
- DO NOT BROWN.
- When cool use pastry bag to fill;NOTE: Some stores sel the box of metal-"pins" to use.
- I have 1 box but it's not enough, so, I use clothes pins also.
My Mom used to make these every year at Christmas. They are sooooo very good. I am so glad you posted this! Now I have the recipe to carry on tradition!