I have been trying to find a recipe that would be close to the muffins at Mimi's restaurant. This one is the closest I have found and they ARE yummy. Found at Cooks.com. If you don't have buttermilk, just put two teaspoons apple cider vinegar in two cups regular milk and let stand for 15 minutes.
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup white sugar
- 1⁄2 cup dark brown sugar, packed
- 5 tablespoons honey
- 3 tablespoons boiling water
- 3 cups raisins or 3 cups dates, pureed in food processor or 3 cups prunes, pureed in food processor. Measure before processing
- 1⁄2 cup honey
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 3 large eggs
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1 cup wheat bran
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Cream butter with sugars until light and fluffy.
- Beat in honey and water.
- Using a brush, coat bottom and sides of muffin tins.
- Mix fruit, honey and oil until smooth.
- Beat in eggs, then buttermilk and bran.
- Sift flour, baking soda and salt together.
- Add to mixture and beat until just combined.
- Fill tins 3/4 full.
- Bake for 20 - 25 minutes until springy to the touch.
- Cool for 2 minutes then invert on rack to cool completely.