Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 5 mins
There is a little breakfast place here in Las Vegas that serves the absolute best banana bread. I've done all that I can do to re-create it. I've asked people who work there, people who go there, and I think that this is as close as it gets! I hope you will enjoy this. Feel free to sub butter, or other ingredients for the ones listed. I was just going for the "healthy" version. Note:I could not get the computer to accept Promise of HeartSmart, therefore, it says butter. Using Promise or HeartSmart will bring the numbers down quite a bit.
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar (can use all granulated)
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄4 cup nonfat milk
- 1⁄4 cup buttermilk
- 2 egg whites
- 1 2⁄3 cups mashed bananas (about 3)
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2⁄3 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons wheat germ
- 2 tablespoons wheat bran
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Spray 9X5 loaf pan with cooking spray.
- Cream together sugar and Promise or butter , if using. Add milk, buttermilk, egg whites and mashed bananas, mix until well blended.
- Combine flours, wheat germ, wheat bran, soda and salt until blended thoroughly.
- Add dry mixture to wet mixture and mix until just blended; do not over-mix.
- Spoon batter into the greased 9X5 loaf pan. Bake at 350 ° for 1 hour 5 minutes, or when toothpick is inserted into middle comes out clean.
- You may have to adjust temperature if using a dark metal pan. This timing assumes a glass loaf pan.