Prep 5 mins
Cook 0 mins
A super FAST, vegan dip. . .perfect for a Super Bowl party! Recipe by Lisa Mouton as published in Penzey's Spices Winter 2010 catalog. UPDATE: I used this dip as the base for a layered Mexican dip with low fat sour cream, salsa, low fat cheese, and avocado and WOW was it fabulous!
- 1 (16 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1⁄8 large onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup pickled jalapeno pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon minced garlic (more to taste)
- 1 teaspoon black pepper (less to taste)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cumin (more to taste)
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon lime juice (juice of 1 lime)
- Place all ingredients in blender and process until smooth. NOTE: I used black beans that I had soaked and cooked myself and they must have been a little drier than those from a can, so I added about 2T of water to get it creamy.
- Serve with tortilla chips, carrots and bell peppers for dipping.
Quick and easy to make, with a great flavor. While tasty on its own, it also served as a great base for layered dips and nachos. Thanks for sharing! Veggie Tag.
JB, this is such a fantastic bean dip recipe! It is easy and quick to make (I cooked my beans the day before) and tastes so good! Mmmm, the jalapeno, garlic, onion, chili powder and cumin go so well together and make a great flavouring for the beans. I left out the lime juice and reduced the black pepper a tad, but other than that followed your recipe to a t and it was so yummy! Ill definitely make it again! THANK YOU SO MUCH for sharing it with us! Made and reviewed for your being VIP in Veggie Swap #24 July 2010.
This was so easy to make and good, I doubt I'll ever buy bean dip again! I really liked the flavor of the jalapenos, but for my taste 1 teaspoon of black pepper is a bit much, so i will reduce that next time. I threw in a little fresh cilantro since I had some on hand. Made for Veg*an Swap, February 2010.