Prep 10 mins
Cook 2 hrs
I work with developmentally-challenged adults - a few without dentures, some without the motor-skills to handle knives and forks. My extraordinarily clever supervisor came up with this recipe allowing them (and a spoon) to enjoy the taste of a good pork chop. The meat falls from the bone and shreds easily. The sauce creates a taste of China.
- 4 pork chops
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup tomato ketchup
- 1⁄4 cup soya sauce
- 1 cup water
- Set the oven at 250 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Trim excess fat off the pork chops.
- Add oil to frying pan and heat on high.
- Add garlic and swirl around for 30 seconds- don't let it brown or burn.
- Lower heat under frying pan. Brown the chops on both sides.
- Remove chops and place in an ovenproof baking dish in a single layer.
- Scrape the garlic and "brown bits" from the frying pan onto the top of the chops.
- Mix remaining ingredients together well and pour over the chops.
- Place chops into the oven.
- Lower heat to 200 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Leave chops in the oven for 2 hours or more.
- When the chops come from the oven - the longer the better - the meat will fall from the bones and the fat is easily removed.
- Shred the pork and return it to the "sauce".
- Leave the meat in the oven until you are ready-to-serve.
- Serve over rice.
I've always been a big fan of sweet and sour anything so when I saw this recipe I jumped at the chance to make it. I was able to triple the recipe and make it for our guest at our last dinner party. It was a BIG hit. They all loved it!!! I'm glad I found recipezaar and this great recipe. Thanks!!!
Tis was very good!! I Only had 3 boneless pork chops but made almost all the sauce. I had it in the oven for about 6 hrs. as we weren't ready to eat yet. It was so good and the sauce was delicious and I used the extra on my mashed potatoes. 5*s all the way.
This was very easy to make and just as easy to eat (with or without teeth). One of those quick and oh so effective recipes, especially if you remember to hide the ketchup after you have used it.