Recipe by roxygibbs
A healthy, yummy, semi-spicy chili using turkey or chicken breast and lots of beans.
- 1 tablespoon cumin seed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 onions, diced
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lb turkey breast, diced (can use chicken)
- 2 tablespoons oregano
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder, shite
- 2 teaspoons ground thyme
- 3 jalapenos, seeded and diced
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 (15 ounce) can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed (d & r)
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 2 (15 ounce) cans great northern beans, d & r
- 1 (15 ounce) canwhite hominy, d & r (or white corn)
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
Directions See How It's Made
- Add oil to stock pot, using medium heat, quickly add cumin seed and cook until lightly smoking and smells good.
- Add onions and quickly stir all together, lower heat to low. Next add garlic and stir. Cook for 2 minutes and add meat. Raise the heat a little and then add next 4 spices (oregano, cumin, chili and thyme).
- When meat is cooked, add jalapenos and broth. Cook until boiling.
- While broth is coming to boil, blend garbanzo beans and water. (I use a hand stick blender. This helps thicken the chili and add unique flavor.) Add mixture to broth.
- Add all beans, lime juice and stir. Lower heat and cook for an hour.
- Taste, add salt and/or pepper if needed.
- Serve with sour cream, shredded cheese, green onions, etc. I think it tastes great by itself!