Recipe by Sharlene~W
This snappy little oatmeal cookie loaded with coconut and pecans is from Southern Living magazine. I make them with a 2 tablespoon cookie scoop for uniformity and end up with perfectly crispy/chewy cookies that bake evenly from the center to the edge.
Top Review by gsc9368
These are up there with the best I have ever made! I won't be making too often because I can't stop eating them. I clearly don't understand reviews like Hazel eyes. She changed almost every ingredient, therefore didn't make THIS recipe. How can you rate a recipe when you made something totally different? She simply needs to post her own recipe.
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup uncooked oats
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 1 cup crisp rice cereal
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup pecans, chopped (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Beat shortening at medium speed with electric mixer until fluffy; add sugars, beating well.
- Add eggs, beating until blended.
- Combine flour, oats, baking soda, baking powder, and salt; gradually add to sugar mixture, beating until blended.
- Stir in coconut, cereal, vanilla, and pecans.
- Drop by tablespoonfuls onto baking sheets.
- Bake in batches at 350°F for 10 minutes or until lightly golden.
- Remove to wire racks to cool.