14 Reviews

I do the same thing but with lemon just. No smelling of ammonia secent after.

2 people found this helpful. Was it helpful to you? [Yes] [No]
CHEF GRPA December 27, 2012

After reading all the previous reviews, I expected an unpleasant odor. Fortunately, the ammonia that I had was lemon ammonia, which may have helped some. I also didn't overly soak the paper towels. I folded them into a square and poured the ammonia over them until they were just wet. Then I put them in microwave with half a juiced lemon on top (I had it leftover from a recipe). The end result was absolutely no odor and no trace of the bacon grease that was splattered inside! I will definitely do this again (without any fear of odor). Thanks for sharing this, pammy!

1 person found this helpful. Was it helpful to you? [Yes] [No]
JackieOhNo! January 30, 2013

I usually just use lemon juice in water "steamed" in the microwave to clean my microwave. I did notice that the ammonia seemed to remove the more stubborn, stuck on things than the plain lemon juice. But the smell isn't as nice. So next time I'll add lemon juice to the ammonia....I was scared to do so at first, afraid of an explosion or chemical reaction LOL! The ease of cleaning can't be beat. Thanks for sharing! Made for your win in Football pool!

1 person found this helpful. Was it helpful to you? [Yes] [No]
breezermom January 06, 2013

This worked really well. The odor lingered for a while, so I too added some lemon slices to some water and nuked that for about 3 minutes for have a fresher smell. Thanks pammyowl for a keeper recipe that worked great. Congrats again on your Football win!

1 person found this helpful. Was it helpful to you? [Yes] [No]
lazyme December 31, 2012

This worked great, I didn't soak the towels so the odor wasn't too strong. Made in memory of pammyowl.

0 people found this helpful. Was it helpful to you? [Yes] [No]
momaphet December 06, 2013

This definitely works! Used it on my DD's microwave and it looks really nice and clean. Didn't care too much for the odor, but I read in the other reviews that there is a "lemon ammonia". Will look for it next time. Made for Pammyowl's Cook-A-Thon, November, 2013.

0 people found this helpful. Was it helpful to you? [Yes] [No]
Nancy's Pantry November 25, 2013

No doubt about it! The cooked on tomato clumps yielded to the ammonia, and my (old) microwave looks like new. However, I am hypersensitive to chemical odors, and I should have worn a mask. I needed to wipe off the microwave walls and ceiling while still warm. For a final wipe, I heated a bowl of water for 1 minute. I'll freeze some used lemon rinds for the next time I try this (although someone whose lungs have been impaired by aerosols should work on the wipe up for only 10 seconds at a time, with a mask, anyway). Pammy, how did you know my microwave needed cleaning? I'll remember you each time we use the microwave, thank you for blessing my life. Tried and reviewed for Pammyowl Cookathon, November 2013.

0 people found this helpful. Was it helpful to you? [Yes] [No]
KateL November 21, 2013

I used to use this method, but no longer. I now spray white vinegar from a spray bottle into my microwave and wipe it out. The white vinegar cleans the microwave like a charm.

0 people found this helpful. Was it helpful to you? [Yes] [No]
Mountainbaby November 20, 2013

It works like a charm! DH reheated baked beans without a lid and for too much time. He didn't mention it until the next day so by that time the beans were glued to the walls. I had half a lemon I had already zested so tossed that in with the ammonia soaked paper towels. A few quick wipes and I was done! In memory of pammyowl.

0 people found this helpful. Was it helpful to you? [Yes] [No]
K9 Owned November 19, 2013

This was a welcome find after making Pammy's Microwave Berry Jam with a big bowl that was still too small for the strawberry jam I was making. The ammonia smell didn't bother me, and maybe it was because we had the kitchen filled with strawberry scent, or because I am used to the smell of the acetone I use when I fill my acrylic nails. Anyway, I usually just put a couple cups of water in a glass container and boil that in the microwave to make everything loosen up, but the ammonia-soaked towels really did make the wipe-down process go much smoother. I'll admit, underneath the strawberry jam there were traces of somebody's chili dog leftovers... Made during the Cookathon in Pammy's memory.

0 people found this helpful. Was it helpful to you? [Yes] [No]
**Tinkerbell** November 15, 2013
Cleaning Your Microwave