1 hr 35 mins
1 hr 30 mins
Veggies a needin' to go-go. Basically this was a clean out the fridge recipe. Son # 2 said, while walking out of his room to get more, "Mom, this is a REALLY good soup." I use a Sabatier chopping machine so prep time is totally guessed at using a knife. Paleo friendly.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 onions, diced
- 2 celery ribs, chopped fine
- 2 jalapenos, chopped fine
- 1 poblano pepper, chopped fine
- 1 serrano pepper, chopped fine
- 9 garlic cloves, chopped fine
- 2 1/2 lbs stew meat
- 8 cups water
- 9 large tomatillos, diced
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons chicken bouillon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger
- 1 teaspoon saffron
- 1 stalk lemongrass
- 8 cups zucchini, sliced in half-moons
- 1 (10 ounce) box frozen chopped spinach
- 1/2 bunch fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1Heat coconut oil in a large, heavy soup pot.
- 2Add onions, celery, peppers and garlic.
- 3Saute over medium heat until onions start to brown.
- 4Add stew meat and saute for about 5 minutes.
- 5Add water, tomatillos, bay leaves, chicken bouillon, paprika, turmeric, cinnamon, cumin, ginger, saffron and lemongrass.
- 6Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer for 1 hour.
- 7Remove bay leaves and lemongrass stalk.
- 8Add zucchini and spinach bring back to a boil.
- 9Add cilantro.
- 10Reduce heat and simmer for an additional 10 minutes.
- 11Add black pepper as desired.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Clean-Out the Fridge Stew
Serving Size: 1 (422 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 189.2
- Calories from Fat 66
- Total Fat 7.4 g
- Saturated Fat 3.9 g
- Cholesterol 60.4 mg
- Sodium 123.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 9.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.0 g
- Sugars 4.3 g
- Protein 23.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: